Thursday, September 28, 2006

Copy my idea for a weekend read

If you haven't noticed already, I pretty much only read young adult lit. It's my favorite genre and if I can show one person that there's more to young adult lit than just Harry Potty, then I'll be happier for it. I just finished reading Joey Pigza Loses Control by Jack Gantos. A reviewer from the Boston Globe said, "The book draws the reader inside its world like nothing I've seen since the first-person narrative of the Catcher in the Rye." I wouldn't go that far, or even have the guts to compare this book to the Catcher in the Rye, but I do have to say that it does a good job getting you inside the mind of a boy with ADHD. If you know anyone who has this disorder, than read this book because it will give you a glimpse of what they might have to go through on a daily basis. Just so you know: it's 195 pages, but again it's young adult lit, so it reads super fast. Bonus: It's a Newbery Honor Book.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love young adult lit too...have you read Love That Dog by Sharon Creech...very good but actually it's probably a bit younger then even a young adult but I'm an adult and I love it.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband teaches 8th Grade ESE and he said all of his classes are great except his 7th period. It's all boys and they all have ADHD. He said EVERY day someone farts or makes a fart noise and everyone cracks up laughing. Yes, I think that's funny too, but the aid who follows this group all day said they not only do that everyday, but in every single class period! The stuff he tells me cracks me up. My husband said they aren't bad kids, just immature so he can't do much more than bookwork with them because they get out of control so easily.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home